Herd Immunity is important.
Herd immunity is the resistance to the spread of a contagious(infectious) disease within a population that results if a sufficiently high proportion of individuals are immune to the disease,especially through vaccination.
It is used to describe the level of population immunity that will result in elimination of a specific infection.
It occurs when a high percentage of the community is immune to a disease that it stops or slows the disease from spreading.
Herd immunity can happen in two ways:
1)many people contract the disease and in time build up an immune response to it.
2) another way is to get vaccination against the disease.
The safest way to develop herd immunity is through vaccination.
The more contagious disease is; the greater the proportion of the population that needs to be immune to the disease to stop its spread.For example, the measles is a highly contagious illness. it is estimated that 94% of population must be immune to interrupt the chain of transmission.
Herd immunity and Covid-19
- Social distancing and frequent handwashing are the only ways to help prevent people from contracting and potentially spreading the virus that causes Covid-19.
- The covid -19 virus creates long-lasting immunity, a large number of people would have to become infected to reach the herd immunity threshold.
- Experts estimate that herd immunity against a pandemic is achieved when 43% population is infected.
- A study states that India can develop herd immunity among 60% of its population within seven months or as early as december; if it allows people under 60 to get back to normal life.
- If Covid-19 is with us for 4-5 years,survival strategies cannot be based on economic and travel lockdowns. More people will die from malnourishment; lost livelihoods will become the cause of economic misery and even death.
- Note that lockdowns and stay-at-home strategies are merely flattening the curve. The hope is that there will be a vaccine soon, which will grant immunity from Covid to a substantial proportion of the population.
This is the overview of the herd immunity and covid situation in india.
-Dr. Pooja Patel